As soon as the Stokke Tripp Trapp Newborn Set was released I was sold. My favourite highchair: suitable from birth bringing the baby into the heart of family meal times. When Betsy was born, knowing we were fans, Stokke very kindly sent her her own newborn set.
As Betsy is now five months old and nearly ready to move on to the baby set I thought I’d share our experiences with you. We’ve used it from the day she came home and it has been an invaluable piece of equipment.
Milla and Monty loved the fact that the new baby had a chair matching theirs ready and waiting at the kitchen table. It was a small touch which made a big difference to their sense of unity and we were having family meals from our first day home.
Betsy has joined us in the kitchen for baking-fests, chatted to her siblings as they modelled play dough and currently mimics me as I eat my lunch. By bringing her up to our level she’s been included in our activities and we’ve been able to respond to her interest. I did have my old bouncy chair out and ready, convinced I would use it as well but it hasn’t had a look in. When the newborn set isn’t on the Tripp Trapp I have moved it into the play room or bathroom where Betsy has happily rocked away.
Reasons why it is great for any baby:
- Brings the baby up to table height giving them a better view of all household action.
- The seat unclips and has a rocking base for use on the floor.
- Snuggly cocoon-like seat.
- Excellent position for pooing (I know, a bit gross but isn’t every parent of a small baby mildly obsessed by the baby’s poo? Just me?).
Reasons why it is great for a baby with older siblings:
- Keeps the baby a little out of reach – fewer baby ‘walks’.
- Allows you to watch and chat to your siblings at the table.
Things that were a slight disadvantage:
- Going on holiday with the Tripp Trapp would have been impossible and we (& Betsy) really missed it while we were away.
- Tripp Trapp toe – you won’t make this mistake more than a couple of times but the back legs are prime toe stubbing spots.
In all honesty I’d struggle to talk the Tripp Trapp Newborn Set down at all; it is such a brilliantly designed piece of furniture. It has been one of our most used pieces of baby equipment and certainly great value for money. If you were buying this for your first child and expecting to use it for a second or even third then you would get your money’s worth over and over not to mention the great resale Stokke has on eBay.
The Tripp Trapp with Newborn Set goes down as one of my all time favourite pieces of children’s design and one I shall recommend for my grandchildren; afterall, it has stood the test of time so far.
RRP £79 plus Tripp Trapp. Check here for stockists.