With more snow forecast having a few crafty activities up your sleeve is a definite winner and I am loving this idea from Bristol Parenting Cafe. As a mother of three aged 4 and under, Catherine has lots of great ideas for activities and days out which will keep everyone happy. It is one of my favourite blogs at the moment as the mix of personal family posts and child centred activities means there is always something interesting to read.
Make Your Own Snow Globes
You will need:
- Ornaments or Christmas decorations
- A jam jar for each which is a little bigger than the ornament
- Strong glue (Catherine used Araldite)
- Gold paint
- Bottled water
- Glycerine (baking aisle at the supermarket or from the chemist)
- A drop of clear washing up liquid
- Lots of glitter (you could even add some small shiny shapes)
Paint the lids of the jars and fix the ornaments to the inside of the lid using strong glue then leave to dry overnight. Fill the jars with bottled water (bearing in mind you need space for the ornament, you can always top up if needed), add one teaspoon of glycerine and one teaspoon of washing up liquid. Go crazy with the glitter, you know you can’t resist. Screw the lids on tight, gluing them shut if necessary and set on a saucer for a couple of hours to make sure they don’t leak.
What a brilliant idea! You can read the original post over at Bristol Parenting Cafe alongside lots more inspiration.