Train sets are classic toys and the first one can kick start a long standing interest. I’ve taken the highlights from our train guide last year and added in a couple of new finds. From the outstandingly great value starter set by Ikea for Â£6.99 to the quirkiness of Brio’s My First Darling, to the eco friendly mac daddy Plan City’s Road and Rail set, these are some hot little buys that little boys and girls from just 18 months will adore.
1. BigJigs Town and Country Train Set This high quality British buy comprises of 101 pieces with buildings, tracks, scenery, people, and cars amongst the pieces for lots of imaginative play in different scenarios. Age 3+ Â£44.99 The Wooden Toy Catalogue
2. John Lewis Wooden Train Set An excellent starter set of 50 pieces with plenty of detail including tracks, trains, and scenery including a lifting bridge, shed, level crossing, and animals. Age 3+. Â£25 John Lewis
3. Brio My First Darling For a bit of quirk and something to appeal to younger toddlers, I’m all over this set which I’ve been a fan of since last year. From the classic train set maker, this starter set is a mix of train and animal concept where the three pony wagons (foals) can be fed by attaching them to the magnetic parts on Darling the mama horses belly, or pull them along behind the apple and Darling becomes the tunnel. They can also be played with off the track too and are compatible with Brio’s classic wooden railway. Age 18 months Â£24.46 Amazon
4. Brio My First Railway Set This 15 piece classic starter set from Brio has all the basics for little fingers, with a battery powered engine which will help with young toddlers and also add to the fun factor, plus it’s compatible with Brio’s classic railway set. The 3 wagons and engine can be played with off the track too. Age 18 months. Â£19.95 Kiddycool
5. Ikea Lliabo Train Set This 20 piece set is an absolute steal. Whether you’re on a tight budget or you don’t want to go investing in a more expensive set without being entirely sure of the level of interest, Ikea keep it simple with this great value, good quality buy. Plus you can expand the set too and buy more parts. Includes an engine, 3 train cars, 2 bridge pieces and 14 pieces of track. Â£6.99 in store only at Ikea.
6. Babipur Huge fan of Plan Toys for their amazing eco friendly toys made from sustainable rubberwood and this is another exceptional, albeit more expensive buy. The box that this 60 piece set is stored in, transforms into the super duper cool train station which has two floors, two entrances for the trains, plus plenty of track, people, street lights, cars, buses, people, and of course trains. It’s expandable and compatible with other brands of railway track plus it can be mixed in with other Plan City toys. One I suspect that big kids, i.e. mum and dad will enjoy just as much! Â£99.95 Babipur
Don’t forget to check out the Christmas gift guides featured so far including stocking filler ideas.