In our first selection of toys that kickstarts our Hot Toy List for Christmas 2008, we unveil our favourite soft toys for that special bambino in your life. This selection focuses on the snuggle up and cuddle variety of soft toys. There were 10 brands, Deglingos, Jellycat, Ugly Dolls, Small Paul by Paul Frank, Dorst Antwerp, Anne-Claire Petit, Manhattan Toys, Sigikid, Notsobig, and Sweet Tweets on Etsy that jumped out at us.
Les Deglingos are loveable, quirky soft toys from France which had to make our hot list for tots. Totally perfect for wowing a bambino (and their discerning parents), the range of Deglingos are visually stimulating with their eclectic mix of fabrics – Can you believe that over fifty different every day fabrics have been used across the range?
Apparently, they have their own language which mostly consists of words that end in ‘os’. Does that mean I should say these are totalos fabulos?
You can get both soft toys and comforters and these visual delights are suitable from birth. They have varying heights that are generally between 26-28cms. The RRP for the soft toys are Â£29.99 and Â£15 for the comforters.
1. Milkos the Cow Â£24 from Teddy Bear Ark
2. Ronronos the Cat Comfort Blanket Â£12.99 from Funky Moose
3. Molos the Lobster Â£24 from Teddy Bear Ark
Brit brand Jellycat have become world renowned for their well priced luxury soft toys. Whilst they’re more of the traditional style of soft toy, they’re really adorable with so many to choose from.
1. Tummy Tales Monkey Â£12.95 from Lula Sapphire (Don’t forget that BG readers get a 15% discount until 12th December at Lula Sapphire!)
2. Beatrice Bunny Â£8.95 from John Lewis (The bambino owns this!)
3. Bashful Piglet Â£9.99 from Plushpaws
4. Moomie Dog Â£7.95 from Purves
Ugly Dolls are the ideal soft toy to buy if you want to completely avoid buying a soft toy that looks like an animal. These plush collectables were created by two Korean artists and they’re ‘ugly’ but oh so loveable creations have gained a huge following. You can get them as big as 6ft tall but I suspect that for your bambino, that would be seeeerious overkill! The most popular size is the 7″ (almost 18cm) versions.
Puglee, Tray Secret Mission, and Jeero are all Â£15.99 each at I Want, I Want, the official UK site for Ugly Dolls where they are also doing free delivery on their large selection. Fat Banana Feet also has a large selection and theirs are Â£14.95 with free delivery.
1. Small Paul Pink Or Blue Sock Monkey Â£11.99 from Little Baby Company. Cheeky, loud, cool, need we say more?
2. Dorst Antwerp Hanging Rabbits Â£10 each (normally Â£12.50) from Little Baby Company .
3. Honestly, we love anything by Anne Claire Petit! Organic Anne-Claire Petit Bunny Ring with ringing bell Â£15 from Orfeo.
4. Yes we had to slip her in again. These Anne-Claire Petit monkey’s are hugely popular and can even be tied to stuff for extra decor factor. Of course, you can never get them all in the one place, and they sell fast, so check out Kat’s guide to buying Anne-Claire Petit monkey’s. Don’t forget these are handmade, crocheted, and organic! Other places to snap up Anne-ClairePetit goodies are Little Baby Company, John Lewis, Igloo Kids, and Fabulous Kids.
5. These Lil Peanut dolls by Manhattan Toys are for 6 months plus. Your bambino can tuck the little baby into their silk lined peanut (OK it’ll probably be you that does it) and snuggle up with it for bedtime. Naturally the little doll can be removed too. Â£9.95 from Lula Sapphire. There’s also a little girl (Sweet Pea) and they’re 40.5 cm in length so a well priced buy.
6. Sigikid Doudou’s around Â£12.95 – Â£14.99 at Stork Gifts. I became a huge fan of these when we were given one by a friend from Germany. They are traditional, well made doudou’s (comforters) and each one is wearing their own bandana, plus they have knots for hands and feet. The bambino still loves hers.
7. Notsobig’s Space Doudous Â£10 at Bibaloo. These are of course the very cool alternative to shrugging off the traditional. We love these unsual, big eyed comforters which have printed cotton on one side and plush fabric on the reverse to stroke.
8. Sweet Tweets on Etsy is a must visit! She makes the most gorgeous soft toys that are brilliant value. Prices are in dollars but for example, the Patchwork Bunny is $10!